Robot for cooking are attracting more and more amateur cooks as well as the most knowledgeable. These all-in-one devices promise to cook all kinds of meals in a short time with minimal effort. The models – more or less famous – are numerous but do not offer the same functions or the same capacities. As for their price, it can vary from simple … to triple! What is the difference between a robot at $400 and another at $1200 ? When buying, it can be difficult to navigate: how to choose your device? Here are some tips and things to consider before purchasing a food processor.
What you will learn
- WHAT IS A ROBOT FOR COOKING?
- HOW MUCH DOES A ROBOT COOKER COST?
- Used purchase
- WHAT PROGRAMS AND FEATURES DO THE ROBOT FOR COOKING OFFER?
- WHAT ARE THE CRITERIA TO TAKE INTO ACCOUNT?
- Getting started ROBOT FOR COOKING
- How to choose your robot for cooking?
WHAT IS A ROBOT FOR COOKING?
A food processor is a multifunction household appliance that replaces most kitchen machines. Usually it is equipped with a knife, a whisk, a blender (for cooking, simmering or melting) and almost always an internal steamer basket.
The robot cooker allows you to cook with a minimum of effort dishes such as floating islands, rice pudding, beef in sauce or soups. It can also simmer or steam fish, poultry or vegetables. It is this peculiarity – the cooking – that sets it apart from other robots such as multifunction robots and pastry robots.
There are many devices, of all ranges, equipped with more or less accessories and at all prices. It is therefore important to choose a food processor according to its characteristics.
GOOD TO KNOW
It is also possible to find robot pastry cooks. This is particularly the case with the Cooking Chef from Kenwood, who prepares pasta, emulsions, whipped whites and even whipped cream. However, it does not necessarily come with a blender or a multifunction bowl for making soups or chopping meat and vegetables.
Top 7 robot for cooking in US
All-Clad HP503152 Prep&Cook Cooking Food Processor
1 used from $799.99
- Prep&cook cooks, slow cooks, Steams, stir fries, mixes, stirs, kneads, whips, crushes ice, chops nuts, and more
- Digital push-button control panel ensures intuitive use; durable stainless-steel bowl and lid with steam control; large side handles for securing bowl in place and easy lifting
- 6 automatic programs (sauce, Soup, simmer, steam, pastry, and dessert) provide foolproof results for a wide range of favorites
Bellini by Cedarlane BMKM510CL Kitchen Master
1 used from $276.02
- High powered motor allows you to chop, mince, whip, knead, blend stir and crush ice
- Precise heating element enables you to simultaneously cook, fry and steam
- 1000W heating power
- 800W power motor
- Bilingual recipe booklet with over 60 recipes
GEMSide E15A ( Updated from E151)New Technique Automatic Electric Meal Cooker
- Put the food material and spices into the cooker, then it will cook automatically, with no need for looking at it.
- Recipes for 300 dishes makes you enjoy different Chinese dishes everyday, even if no experience of cooking.
- Automatically, non-sticky, anti-boiled over. 24-hour Delay Timer for flexible meal planning.
- Simulate the cooking duration and temperature of a top chef to cook perfect delicaies.
- Be a gourmet, save time to do other things. Your life will change and becoming more meaningful.
Cuisinart DFP-14BCNY 14-Cup Food Processor
- Includes stainless steel Standard slicing disc (4mm), medium shredding disc and stainless steel chopping/mixing blade. Cord length : 36 Inches
- 720-Watt large-capacity food processor with intuitive "on" And "off/pulse" Buttons
- 14-Cup Lexan work bowl; extra-large Feed tube; small and large pushers
- Spatula, instruction/recipe booklet; dishwasher-safe parts
- Detachable disc stem
- Note: shredding and slicing blades are not adjustable.
YHLZ Household Rice Cooker
- ★Gorgeous color choices Pure confession and responsibility red you electric version
- ★White-collar petty life Urban white-collar new trend full-touch mini rice cooker
- ★Student's dormitory weapon away from school dark dishes GL-168 full touch mini rice cooker
- ★Give love dinner Two people need to be surprised. Full touch through your rice cooker
- ★Six-step cooking rice The rice is cooked over a large fire to fully release the nutrients and aroma of the rice
2.8L APP Control Intelligent Wash Cooking Rice Robot
- Fast and even heating: The rice cooker is surrounded by an aluminum core and heated quickly and evenly. Suitable for all stoves, induction cookers, ovens, brakes and dishwashers up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Seamless cleaning: The rice cooker is designed with new materials to make the cooking and burning smaller. This 2 quart-covered saucepan is easy to clean.
- High-quality stainless steel spices: Stainless steel cooking surfaces do not change color, react with food or change taste; ideal for classic cooking techniques such as slow mesh, rolling pot and liquid reduction.
Cuckoo CRP-LHTR1009F(10 Cup), CRP-LHTR0609F(6 Cup) Induction Heating Twin Pressure Rice Cooker
1 used from $540.89
- Essential: Prepare perfect meals using our LED display with 16+ menu options including, GABA, Glutinous (White), Mixed Rice, Scorched Rice, Veggie Rice, High pressure steam, Non-pressure steam, Baby Food and more!
- Twin Pressure : Twin Pressure function you select the pressure type(Ultra High pressure / IH Non-pressure) depending on your desire. And the open cooking function allows you to add ingredients while the rice is cooking.
HOW MUCH DOES A ROBOT COOKER COST?
Relatively expensive, robot cookers have long been not very affordable for individuals, like Vorwerk’s latest addition, the Thermomix TM6, sold for $ 1,300. In recent years, however, very competitively priced models have emerged. In June 2019, Lidl thus met with immense success with the Monsieur Cuisine Connect robot from its Silvercrest brand, sold at a price of $350. There are also entry-level models for less than $ 200 such as the Volupta HF404110 from Moulinex ($ 160) or the HKM1028 from H. Koenig ($ 170).
It is therefore possible to find devices at all prices, for all budgets. The price of a food processor can go from single to double, and even triple. The budget also depends on the desired functions and options.
In the same range, it is indeed possible to find several versions of the same robot, at various prices:
Companion XL: Moulinex markets the Companion XL in two versions: the Companion XL, classic version, and the i-Companion XL, connected via Bluetooth;
Cooking Chef: the Kenwood Cooking Chef is available in a Gourmet version with a blender and a bowl, as well as in an XL version, less accessorized;
kCook Multi: the kCook Multi robot from the Kenwood brand is marketed in a classic version and in a “Smart” version (connected via Bluetooth).
As some robot cookers are expensive, it is not uncommon to choose a used model.
Before buying your used robot, remember to check – as much as possible – the following points.
The general condition of the device and its cleanliness
The general condition and cleanliness of the robot is usually a good indicator of how well the seller has taken care of the device.
Do not hesitate to take an inventory of all the accessories: whisk, knife, cooking basket … Also remember to check their condition, such as the presence of cracks or the effectiveness of the blender seal. However, please be indulgent! Accessories can be purchased from most manufacturers. On the other hand, it can be a price negotiation point.
The date of purchase
Find out when the food processor was purchased. If the seller still has the invoice, don’t hesitate to ask for it.
Is the device still under warranty? This element is not essential when buying second-hand, but can be an asset!
Programs and control panel
If you have the possibility, carry out a quick technical check of the food processor.
WHAT PROGRAMS AND FEATURES DO THE ROBOT FOR COOKING OFFER?
Robot cookers are all-in-one devices. They have many programs and functions to make a variety of dishes effortlessly.
It is thus possible to:
make the basic pastry recipes (white snow, whipped cream, etc.);
mix and mix;
grind and chop;
to grate ;
cook and simmer;
WHAT ARE THE CRITERIA TO TAKE INTO ACCOUNT?
Capacity and content
To choose your robot, check the capacity of the bowl. A large bowl allows for more important preparations. However, it will be bulkier and heavier.
Warning ! The total (or gross) capacity corresponds to the interior volume measured to the edge. It differs from usable capacity, which is the total amount of liquid that can actually be handled in the device. Remember to distinguish between them when you compare different models.
Most bowls are made of stainless steel. When buying, check if the one you are interested in is dishwasher safe.
The handles offer a good grip. In particular, they facilitate the maintenance of the bowl, its transport or the transfer of food. There may be one or more. The handles generally allow the bowl to be handled with one hand. We can therefore hold it while using a spatula to extract the preparation.
The cover can be glass, steel, plastic … Do not hesitate to check its good grip, but also its weight.
Getting started ROBOT FOR COOKING
Do not hesitate to visit the store to get a better idea of the daily use of the coveted robot.
Then ask yourself a few questions: is the robot easy to handle? Is its use intuitive? Are the speed, duration and temperature directly accessible
To use your robot optimally, it is important to check the ease of use of the accessories.
locking and unlocking the cover;
the installation and removal of the bowl as well as its handling;
handling accessories, especially sharp accessories which must be easy to remove, even when they are dirty or slippery.
When purchasing your food processor, it may be worth considering the power of the motor and the heating element.
A powerful motor prevents the robot from overheating. In particular, it will allow you to knead thicker doughs or to grind food quickly.
The motor can be either universal carbon or brushless.
Heating element power
With good heating element power, your food processor will heat up faster.
This power can be expressed either by resistance or by induction.
Grate, grind, mix… Food robots inevitably make noise. But some devices can be really noisy and become annoying on a daily basis. Noise nuisance is therefore a criterion to be taken into account. It is also part of the robot cooker test procedure established by our experts.
Due to their size, robot cookers generally sit on the kitchen worktop and are therefore often permanently plugged in. It is therefore worth checking this point before purchasing your device. The standby power consumption can indeed be relatively high depending on the model, and therefore increase your electricity bill as well as the cost of using your robot.
The control panel is used to program your machine. It is therefore preferable that it is readable and easy to use.
Check the size of the control panel, the size of the font used, the contrast, its readability, etc. Reading should be easy.
Using the control panel should be simple. So don’t hesitate to check the programming mode: is it easy to learn and use? Is it fast and responsive enough?
Some control panels have touch buttons, others do not. It’s up to you to see what you prefer.
Note, however, that a touchscreen or sensor keys are generally easier to clean than mechanical keys.
Connected or not, the choice is yours. This will be via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. But you still need to be near the appliance to place the ingredients in the food processor at the start of the recipe!
Cookbooks, websites and apps
Most brands provide a cookbook, website or application with their food processor. These recipes are set to provide optimal results for each food.
Some of these media offer free access to recipes, others require you to pay a subscription. Recipes can also be found directly on the device once it is connected to the Wi-Fi network. This is particularly the case with the Thermomix TM6 from Vorwerk and the Monsieur Cuisine Connect from Lidl.
However, a cookbook is not always essential for using a food processor.
How to choose your robot for cooking?
If we have the necessary budget, then we might as well take a very complete robot directly that will allow us to do absolutely anything we want. If our budget is limited, then we will have to choose and decide according to our needs. The number of people in your family will first help you decide on a product with a larger or smaller bowl. A capacity of 1.5 L will be sufficient for 2 to 3 people, and it is from 2.5 or 3 L that you can cook all the dishes for 4 people.
Then you have to check a few criteria to make sure you have a successful robot. Engine power is obviously an important criterion. The more powerful the motor, the more resistant it will generally be and will allow you to knead compact doughs, or mix solid foods with more ease.
You also need to make sure that your cooking robot enables the features that you actually want. Not all robot cookers knead, others will only blend herbs, but not ice or nuts, some have a small steamer basket, while others allow cooking on multiple levels, etc. If you already have a few appliances and utensils at home, then you will be doing without some options and favoring others.
The robot for cooking should be as easy to use as possible. Otherwise we will hesitate to use it and it is inevitably a bit of a shame that a device of this price remains in its box or collects dust on the worktop. It must therefore be easy to pick up and handle. If you are a beginner, favor a robot that comes with a cookbook adapted to the model, this is the best way to cook almost like a chef quickly.
Of course the size of the robot is important, it should not take up all the space on the worktop and be suitable for your kitchen. Finally, we will necessarily look at aesthetics. A product that is so expensive must necessarily please us a little, especially since it will be very often in sight and will therefore become a decorative object in its own right.
All the devices I have been able to test and find on this site are relatively reliable models. Some less than others, but overall they are good food processors. If the prices scare you, know that you will not find a high-performance and good quality robot for cooking below $250 . This is really the lowest price and on this type of model you will not have the same functionality or the same speed of preparation.
Do not turn to Chinese brands at $100 , whose design often seems very serious but the quality of the motor and utensils is still very poor. You won’t be able to do anything or almost nothing and the robot will break down in less time than it takes to tell. Serious manufacturers guarantee their products for about 2 years, it is important to make sure of this and to check the warranty terms.