While the brand is in the process of being acquired by Google, which is struggling to release its Google Pixel Watch, Fitbit is launching three new smart health connected watches: Fitbit Versa 3, Fitbit Inspire 2 and the new Fitbit Sense which would be able to detect the Covid 19 .
An important update of its range which should enable it to stand up to increasingly strong competition on the market for watches specializing in monitoring sports and health activities. In addition to the efficient, but expensive Apple Watch Series 5, the Samsung galaxy watch 3 comes and the next Withings Scanwatch ($249 ). But also, undergo the pressure of very good low-budget smart health connected bracelets like the Xiaomi mi band 5 (less than $35 ). Admittedly the small Chinese bracelet which does not embed the ECG, but an SpO2 sensor and the measurement of the heart rate.
Fitbit Versa 3 design
Little apparent change, we find the rectangular design already present on previous models. However, the frame of the V2 has been reduced slightly to suit all wrists. An asset that allows it to be lighter and more comfortable to wear on a daily basis, but especially for physical activities.
- AMOLED color touchscreen on LCD with 2.5D curved glass
- Case dimensions of 4.08 x 4.08 cm, with a thickness of 12.35 mm.
- Weight 20 grams
- Possibility of permanent display, also the selection of 2 time zones
- One button
- 2 bracelets in two sizes (S for wrists 140 to 180 mm and L from 180 to 220 mm).
I find very well seen theoriginal health home screen that shows the number of steps, the colors spent and your heart rate, in addition to the time and date.
The Versa 3 is available in 3 customizable finishes
- Pink bracelet and pale gold case
- Midnight blue bracelet and pale gold case
- Completely black.
One of the interests of smart health connected watches is the possibility of personalizing them. This is naturally the case here with a large choice of faces (watch wallpaper) which are available with the Fitbit app from your mobile, but also a very wide choice of bracelet.
Personally, I really like the sobriety of the “Arrows” clock faces for activity monitoring, “Minimal” for everyday use and “About Time”.
The different sensors built into the Fitbit Versa 3
- Integrated GPS + GLONASS
- Optical heart rate sensor
- 3-axis accelerometer
- Wi-Fi (802.11 b / g / n 2.4 GHz)
- Ambient light and temperature detectors
- Microphones and speaker
- Vibrating motor.
Features Fitbit Versa 3 finally ECG
Like the whole range, the Fitbit Versa 3 works under the health home OSnot. A system compatible with smartphones under Android 5+, iOS (iPhone 4S + and iPad 3) and Windows (Nokia and HP) to take advantage of all synchronization and notification features.
To monitoring your physical condition, Fitbit also provides access to your account on the internet accessible from any computer.
Since last year, Fitbit has been working under pressure to market its own electrocardiogram (ECG) recording function in its watches and fitness trackers. This device only equips the new Fitbit Sense, but appreciate that the Versa 3 adds a built-in GPS for the same price as the Versa 2 which uses that of your phone.
- A Integrated GPS (a good evolution, because the Versa 2 uses that of the smartphone)
- Water resistant 5 ATM. Use for swimming and bathing, but not for scuba diving.
- Google assistant and Amazon Alexa for voice commands
- Fitbit Pay
- Spotify and Deezer, with a subscription, you access your content, your playlists, your liked songs. But also, control other devices smart health connected to Spotify. You can store and listen to your music or podcasts as well.
- Bluetooth 5
A smartphone on your wrist
From your watch, you can answer phone calls, if your cell phone is within Bluetooth range (less than 10 meters). But also, display your SMS and receive notifications from your favorite applications on its screen.
Voice commands with Google Assistant and Alexa
While the Versa 2 is only equipped with Alexa, Amazon’s voice assistant, it makes sense that the Versa 3 is equipped in addition to Google Assistant. Indeed its takeover by Google, announced since 2019, seems imminent.
Thanks to the built-in microphone, you can control your music, your health home automation devices or search the internet. But also, check the weather forecast or set an alarm.
I just hope that the voice commands will be complete and interactive with the smartphone. For example to change the song you are listening to or to know the distance traveled since the start of a race.
Finally the integrated GPS
One of our biggest issues with the Fitbit Versa 2 was the lack of on-board GPS, which means you have to take your phone for the ride if you want to track and map your outdoor workouts.
As with this year’s Fitbit Charge 4, the Versa 3 does have its own GPS on board. You no longer necessarily need to go for a jog with your smartphone.
Fitbit Pay limited contactless payment
Equipped with an NFC chip, no need to take out tickets or your bank card. Simply bring your watch to the TPE to pay contactlessly.
To activate this service, you must first register your payment cards in the Fitbit app Wallet. Most importantly, your bank must accept Fitbit Pay. For the moment, this is mainly Crédit Mutuel and online banks.
- Crédit Mutuel Arkea, Brittany, Massif Central and South-West. (MasterCard)
- TransferWise (MasterCard)
- Boursorama (Visa)
- Fortuneo (MasterCard)
- bunq, Max and PCS (MasterCard)
Activity and sport tracking
The Versa 3 is equipped with a variety of functions already existing for Fitbit smartwatches, but this time it will be possible to leave the phone at health home thanks to the integrated GPS.
- Continuous monitoring of your heart rate.
- Personalized and guided breathing of 2 and 5 minutes which are based on your heart rate.
- Traditional followed by calories, number of steps, distance traveled.
- Track your general health as well as your normal physical shape.
- Advanced analysis of 20 sports activities.
We find sleep tracking with Fitbit’s Sleep Score, a score out of 100. The new standard on smart watches. A system that allows you to quickly and easily understand the quality of your nights.
Smart alarm clock
There is also an alarm function which will wake you up at the optimum time. It will monitoring your deep sleep and only wake you up at the appropriate time. But, don’t worry, you can set a time to wake up so you don’t miss the departure for the office.
Note that Fitbit has announced that it has completed its clinical trials for the detection ofSleep Apnea. But, without specifying the date of the integration of this function in its devices.
Get to know your body better by using the Versa 3 and the Fitbit app to record your period, note your symptoms, predict your ovulation times, and discover your cycle trends.
6-day battery life and fast charging
The Fitbit Versa 3 offers a very good battery life of a week? Plus, in an emergency you can use the fast charge, which gives your watch an extra day of battery life in just 12 minutes.
Fitbit Versa 3 price and date
- With the price drop of model 2, we can hope for the start of marketing around the $ 229.
- The official release date is September 25, 2020.
Note that the takeover of Fitbit by Google is encountering some difficulties. Indeed, after an announcement in November 2019, we expected early 2020 for the transaction to materialize. But, the European Commission announced Tuesday, August 4, that it was going to open an “in-depth investigation” into the project. The reason is based on the “fear that the proposed transaction will further strengthen Google’s position in the online advertising markets, by increasing the already large volume of data that Google could use to personalize the advertisements it offers or that it displays ”. The final decision should be made by the end of 2020.
Fitbit Versa 3 Health & Fitness Smartwatch with GPS, 24/7 Heart Rate, Alexa Built-in, 6+ Days Battery, Midnight Blue/Gold, One...
- Run, bike, hike and more phone-free and see your real-time pace & distance with built-in GPS. Then check out your workout intensity map in the Fitbit app
- Active Zone Minutes uses your resting heart rate to gauge exercise effort and gives you a buzz when you step up the intensity so you can make the most of your workouts
- Better track heart rate 24x7 with PurePulse 2.0, Fitbit's enhanced heart rate technology