What are the best foam rollers? What features do you consider for the best foam roller?
Props can transform Pilates Mat exercises. In this course we explore the many uses of the foam roller to modify, progress and add variety to the Pilates practice. The extra benefits of the foam roller is myofascial release which will promote healthy soft tissue by improving flexibility and...
What you will learn
Foam Roller Buyer’s Guide
Density / hard or soft – Foam rollers are available in different densities. Soft density rollers are more suitable for lighter workouts. Hard density rollers are best suited for workouts on tight muscles. However, since foam rollers are used directly on the body, choosing a roller that is too hard can cause bruising and discomfort which will reduce the level of effectiveness in its use. Likewise, too soft a foam roller will also not be able to provide the pressure necessary for final performance. Ideally, it is necessary to find the balance in the density of the foam roller for your preferred task.
Size and shape – Foam rollers also come in different shapes and sizes. The size of your body is a key factor to consider when choosing an ideal foam roller. The preferred form, however, largely depends on one’s choice.
Material – There is a wide range of foam roller material. The content determines the density of the foam roller. Most of the polyethylene foam rollers are of poor quality. Other materials are ethylene vinyl acetate, expanded polypropylene, among others.
Top 17 Best Foam Rollers
321 STRONG 5 in 1 Foam Roller Set Includes Hollow Core Massage Roller
8 used from $28.06
- The perfect gift for yourself , or a loved one that's into exercise and working out , this kit has it all -> Our classic triple zone massage roller with end caps for storage , great for deep tissue massage and stretching legs and lower back .
- There's our premium massage stick for those hard-to-roll areas , like the quad , shin , and inner thigh . Control the intensity of the massage by pressing harder or softer with the handles . Flush lactic acid from muscle tissue after your workout .
TriggerPoint GRID VIBE PLUS Four-Speed Vibrating Foam Roller
3 used from $65.77
- This item benefits from an Extended 90 Day Return Window
- Vibrating foam roller is cordless and rechargeable, with four vibration frequencies that are ideal for pain relief, relaxation, and recovery
- Patented multi-density GRID surface channels blood and oxygen through muscles to increase circulation and accelerate muscle recovery
- Compact 3.5-inch diameter provides less surface area while rolling to deliver targeted relief to deep layers of tissue
Theragun Wave Roller – Vibrating Bluetooth Enabled Smart Foam Roller
- MAXIMIZES SURFACE AREA FOR A FULL-BODY ROLL - releases tension more generally across the body, giving you a complete, full-body foam rolling experience.
- 5 CUSTOMIZED VIBRATION SETTINGS - 5 powerful vibration frequencies can be adjusted to your comfort level to help release soreness, reduce tension, and increase range of motion.
- INNOVATIVE WAVE TEXTURE - innovative silicone wave grooves add an additional dimension of pressure to the muscle, while providing superior traction control.
LifePro 4-Speed Vibrating Foam Roller
- IMPROVE MOBILITY AND FLEXIBILITY: Our cutting-edge foam roller enhances the effectiveness to aid in your recovery and flexibility before and after weightlifting, CrossFit, yoga, jiu-jitsu, running, cardio, or any other exercise. Its powerful motor delivers high-penetration relief and helps roll out tightness to make sure your body is prepared to excel and remain injury free
- TRUSTED BY ATHLETES, PERSONAL TRAINERS, AND PHYSICAL THERAPISTS:Used by professional athletes, fitness trainers and physical therapists around the country, from the creators of the Surger vibration roller the Velocity Massage Ball helps the pros excel and reach peak performance levels. With each purchase, you get instant access to our online workout videos, offering instructions, so we can help you achieve your fitness goals too
URBNFit Vibrating Foam Roller
- RECOVER FROM WORKOUTS FAST: Foam rolling after your workout increases flexibility, mobility, pliability, circulation, & reduces muscle soreness to help you recover quickly post-workout. Used by Professional athletes
- 5 VIBRATION LEVELS: Switch between low & high intensity massaging levels to help relieve sore muscles that include your calves, hips, lower/upper back, shoulders, arms & more
- BUILT TO LAST, LONG BATTERY LIFE: Eco-friendly ABS plastic interior & EVS foam on the exterior w/ a smooth finish & customized grooves. Rechargeable battery LASTS FOR 6 HOURS on its highest intensity
VIBRA Vibrating Foam Roller
- ROLL OUT BETTER THAN EVER – Warm up and recover like never before with the next-generation foam roller with vibration! Powerful pulses reverberate through tight and sore muscles, thwarting tension and soreness like no regular roller ever could.
- INCREDIBLE ENGINE – Vigorous workouts require vigorous rehabilitation. Epitomie Fitness’s electric roller delivers intense vibrations with its unmatched vibration engine. Capable of up to 3600 RPM to take you from rigid to relaxed in no time!
TheraBand Foam Roller Wraps
TheraBand Foam Roller Wraps can be used with the patent-pending theraband foam roller wraps or as a standalone device. Its highly durable closed-cell foam extends product life and maintains its form. It can be easily attached to standard six inch round foam rollers, allowing users to enhance their existing foam roller investment.
TriggerPoint Rush Roller Sports Medicine
Feel the relief with every roll on the Trigger point Rush Roller! Designed with a unique textured pattern, this foam roller effectively shears muscle tissues to promote mobility and glide. By kneading muscles in multiple directions, the shearing process improves your range of motion. The Rush Roller is built with firm, high ridges and a hollow core to deliver compressions that keep you feeling fresh. Whether after a hard workout on a long day, the Trigger Point Rush Roller helps you stay relaxed and ready for what's next. Textured foam roller with squeeze and stretch design shears muscles to promote range of motion and glide. Squeezing and stretching muscle tissue offers an effective alternative to traditional compression massage. Firm, high ridges with tiered muscle compression improves tissue hydration and elasticity. Specialty Level 3 foam roller designed for shearing. Patented hollow core design retains shape after frequent use. Easy-to-clean and sweat-resistant EVA foam surface 13-inch foam roller is 5.5 inches in diameter with a 500-pound weight limit. Includes access to free online instructional video library on foam rolling education from the experts at Trigger Point..
Trigger Point Performance CORE MINI 12 FOAM ROLLE
Optp Lorox Aligned Travel Foam Roller
OPTP Lorox Aligned Travel Foam Roller: A workout essential, this foam roller is designed by structural integration practitioner and fascia expert Lauren Roxburgh for superior results. Use it to elongate muscles, tone your body, and get rid of inflammation (thanks in part to the roller’s lymphatic-boosting, textured surface).It’s the perfect size for a gym bag, carry-on, or a fit-it-in-anywhere kind of workout—plus, the contrast color combo is pretty fun. Never used a foam roller before? Check out all of Roxburgh’s stories on goop. L: 12"; Diameter: 4".
Brazyn Morph Collapsible Foam Roller
Brazyn Morph Collapsible Foam Roller in Midnight Blue: Meet Morph—aka the take-anywhere, collapsible foam roller 2.0.Extra functional, multi-purpose, and perfectly compact, it’s lightweight (but can handle up to 350 pounds), equipped with padded nubs (to target hard-to-reach muscles), and, the coolest part, it folds down flat, so you can stash it in your backpack, throw it in/on a suitcase, keep it in your car—you get the idea. Bamboo, Aluminum, Cordura Fabric, EVA Foam Measurements: 14.5" x 6.7" x 2" (Collapsed); 14.5" x 5.5" (Expanded Roller).
Trigger Point Carbon Deep Tissue Foam Roller
The Trigger Point Carbon Fiber Foam Roller was designed to help release the very toughest and deepest knots. This unit is built to reduce muscle soreness and help prevent injury through deep-tissue, self-guided massage. The extra-firm and high-profile nodules provide maximum benefits by going deeper into muscle tissue than your average foam roller. Benefits Unit backed by one-year limited warranty. Measures 13 inches x 5.5 inches and weighs 3.8 pounds. This unit is recommended for experienced foam roller users. Recommended for experienced users with very dense muscle tissue. Features firm nodules with specific spacing to penetrate deeper into muscle tissue and provide room for tissue displacement..
Restore Total Body Foam Roller
Stretch, massage and align your body with our Total Body Foam Roller. Its 36" length is perfect for full-body work with added benefits of balance training, spinal alignment and stretching. Helps sooth tightness and improve mobility. 36" length ideal for total body work Loosens tight muscles,...
TRIGGERPOINT Grid Foam Rollerback to menu ↑
TriggerPoint GRID STK Foam Roller
The GRID STK® Foam Roller, a multi-functional handheld massage tool, can be used seated or standing to roll, release, and relieve minor aches and pains. The AcuGRIP® handles allow user-controlled pressure for a comfortable massage, and can be used to anchor on tight spots for acupressure...
Two or Four Sessions of Stretch Therapy for Injury Recovery from Mark at Atlas Foam Roller
Choice of: Two Private Sessions of Stretch Therapy for Injury Recovery Four Private Sessions of Stretch Therapy for Injury Recovery
Collapsible Foam Roller
Restore your muscles for total body relief, anywhere, anytime, with this Collapsible Foam Roller. Features a textured surface that will stimulate blood flow and provide a deeper massage, with no-slip grip and durability. The hollow core makes it lightweight and it easily collapses flat for relief...
Different types of foam rollers
Standard density – This type of foam rollers is ideal. It is made primarily from ethylene vinyl acetate and offers efficiency and convenience for massaging trigger points and tense muscles. It is most suitable for stability and balance training.
Soft density – This type of foam roller is made of a lot of cushion and provides more comfort in use.
Firm density – Firm density foam rollers provide a much more intense feeling in its use. They are ideal for training on knots and tight muscles. The calves, thighs, and upper back of the body are some of the best parts that firm density foam rollers are used for.
Foam rollers FAQ
How does a foam roller work?
Only by placing the foam roller under your body. If you want to target your back, place it under your back and roll over it.
What type of foam roller is best suited?
The standard density of the rolls is ideal, as they cover a wider range of uses. They are also convenient for a larger group of people.
What are the advantages of using a foam roller?
Foam rollers offer many advantages. They can be used to increase the rate of recovery from injuries, for professional and personal or home massages, and to increase blood flow to different parts of the body and targeted areas. Overall, the foam rollers are tall and easy to use and will allow you to have a healthy and fit body.
Is a vibrating foam roller better?
A foam roller that vibrates may be preferred over non-vibrating ones. The vibration function improves blood circulation and massage process. Plus, most foam vibrating rollers can be turned off when you don’t need them.
How often should you lather the roller?
Foam rolling can be done every day. However, you should not focus too long on one side of your body; rolling foam on one side for long periods of time can cause pain.